I’m a 60-something SAHW, married 40 years on September 1 to an extremely patient and tolerant man. I have two grown kids with the corresponding in-laws (my children of the heart), five granddaughters and a grandson.
They are, in order of their appearance, Susannah aka Papoose, Harper aka Babydiva, Annabelle aka Sprout, Charlee aka Elf, Emma aka Peach and our newest, Shepherd aka Boss Bubba, who made his appearance in August as promised. My four footed, furry children are two cats, Mac the Ginormous, Sonny the Wondercat and Dixie, a rescued boxer/terrier/hound and Lord only knows mix who stole our hearts as soon as we met her. My world is one of semi-controlled chaos and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS (cue Julie Andrews)
1) Books. I’m a fairly nondiscriminatory reader. I’m currently in non-fiction mode, reading biographies, how-to guides, and anything to do with history but am branching out with a little fiction. I’m also a sucker for a catchy title or cover art, playing right into a publisher’s hand. A couple of favorites are Gwen E. Steege’s Knitter’s Life List and Amazing Glaze Techniques, Recipes, Finishing, and Firing by Gabriel Kline.
2) Animals, any and all. I’m an equal opportunity animal lover; my mother said that as a child, if it ran, walked, crawled, slithered or flew, had fur, feathers, scales or wings, four feet plus or no feet, I loved it and made it a pet. Haven’t changed a bit. Home is where my pets are. My vet loves me.
3) Baking/Cooking. Baking is my Valium. It calms me, centers me and helps me refocus when I feel like I’m going in a thousand different directions at once. Again, I’m an equal opportunity baker – cakes, pies, muffins, cookies, bread, you name it, I bake it.
4) Knitting. This is beyond a favorite, it’s more like an obsession. I learned to knit as a little girl and picked it back up several years ago, when I needed something to occupy my busy, restless hands. I’m in love with everything knitting and it doesn’t appear that I’ll fall out of love with it any time soon. My local yarn shop also loves me.
5) Pottery. Another obsession. I throw pots and am constantly on the look out for new shapes and new ideas to try. I consider clay under my fingernails a badge of honor.
6) Retirement. Enough said.
So, that’s me in a nutshell. Stay tuned for updates!